WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., July 12, 2016 – The United States Tennis Association (USTA) announced a star-studded lineup for the 2016 Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day presented by Hess. The stadium show will include live performances from chart-topping hip hop artist Flo Rida, international pop sensation Zara Larsson, singer-songwriter Troye Sivan, buzzworthy pop/R&B artist Jordan Fisher, award-winning singer-actress Laura Marano and breakout band Forever In Your Mind. They’ll team-up with tennis superstars Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and others for a day of tennis, music and fun to honor the legacy of legendary pioneer Arthur Ashe. Disney Channel’s Joey Bragg will co-host this year’s show along with Jordan Fisher and Laura Marano. The annual event takes place Saturday, August 27th at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, NY, from 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m and will kick-off the 2016 US Open, which runs from August 29th – September 11th.
From 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., families can enjoy an exciting array of free tennis activities geared toward kids, plus live music and attractions throughout the grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Inside Arthur Ashe Stadium from 1 p.m.–3 p.m., the live tennis and music show will feature fun exhibition matches and skills competitions with world No. 1 Novak Djokovic and 14-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal, as well as musical performances by Flo Rida, Zara Larsson, Troye Sivan, Jordan Fisher, Laura Marano and Forever In Your Mind. Additional participants will be announced in the coming weeks.
Stadium show tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster (1-866-OPEN-TIX), www.usopen.org and at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the official card of Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day. General admission promenade tickets cost $10 and loge tickets are $25. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day will be broadcast nationally by ABC on Sunday, August 28, from 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. (ET).
“Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day is a special day for families to enjoy the best of tennis and musical entertainment,” said Gordon Smith, USTA Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer. “This annual tradition will be further enhanced as all grounds activities take place throughout the newly transformed grounds, and the stadium show takes place under the our new state-of-the-art retractable roof at Arthur Ashe Stadium for the first time.”
For the past 20 years, Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day has been a launching pad for many of music’s biggest acts including has been a launching ground and showcase for artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Shawn Mendes, Rihanna, Jonas Brothers, Fifth Harmony, Ne-Yo, Demi Lovato, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Hanson and more.
This year’s lineup will feature:
Flo Rida – Over the last several years, Flo Rida become a chart fixture thanks to a string of blockbuster singles that have topped the charts worldwide, including: “Low (feat. T-Pain),” “Right Round,” “Sugar,” “Good Feeling,” “Wild Ones (feat. Sia),” “Whistle,” and “My House.” He has a remarkable eleven RIAA platinum certified singles and seven top 5 hits on the all-encompassing Billboard “Hot 100” chart. His most recent EP My House includes the singles “G.D.F.R.” feat. Sage the Gemeni, “I Don’t Like It, I Love It” feat. Robin Thicke, and “My House” which ascended to the #1 spot on CHR/Top 40 radio outlets nationwide, while also selling more than 100 million singles worldwide. His summer smash “Hello Friday” feat. Jason Derulo will be featured on his upcoming. A four-time Grammy-nominated artist and winner of People’s Choice and Teen Choice Awards, Flo Rida has broken down barriers by uniting millions of fans of pop, hip-hop, and club music around the world and establishing himself as an international, genre-busting superstar in the process.
Zara Larsson – Teenage Swedish sensation Zara Larsson’s international smash “Never Forget You” has crisscrossed the globe, leaving a swath of scorched earth in its wake. The 7x-platinum track reigns on dancefloors and hits charts, with video views and Spotify streams each totaling well into 9 digits. Zara recently paired with French DJ and über-producer David Guetta on the uplifting anthem “This One’s For You,” selected as the official song of the 2016 UEFA European Championship. Larsson got her start by winning Sweden’s Got Talent and went on to conquer all of Europe, courtesy of her 10x-platinum #1 hit “Uncover.” She’s now taken America by storm, having performed on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Today Show, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, and The Late Late Show with James Corden. She’s been featured in major publications including People, Time, GQ, Elle, and US Weekly and is currently readying a full-length album on Epic Records. The world is Zara Larsson’s oyster as her angelic face and heavenly vocals take center stage.
Troye Sivan – Troye Sivan, is a true global pop phenomenon, his debut album Blue Neighborhood sold over one million albums worldwide, topped over 50 iTunes charts around the world, debuted in the Top 10 of the Billboard 200 and has earned more than 700,000 equivalent albums globally in five months. Troye has 20 million combined online followers and nearly one billion streams to date. Troye’s new single, “WILD” featuring Alessia Cara debuted at #1 in 7 countries and sold over 1 million tracks worldwide. The New York Times hailed him as a “prototype for tomorrow’s global pop star” and TIME named the celebrated YouTuber as one of the most influential teens of 2014. The young Australian artist topped Billboard’s Dance Club Songs chart with his previous single, “YOUTH.” The song, which entered the Top 25 of Billboard’s Hot 100, is certified Platinum. Troye will kick off the second North American leg of his worldwide “Suburbia Tour” on October 16 at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. A portion of ticket sales will go to The Ally Coalition, which supports LGBTQ causes and the fight against discrimination through education, awareness and advocacy.
Jordan Fisher – Already called out as “one to watch” by Entertainment Weekly and People Magazine, multi-talented artist Jordan Fisher recently released “All About Us” from his upcoming debut album for Hollywood Records. Produced by Oak Felder (Alessia Cara, Ariana Grande, Rihanna), the song seamlessly melds Jordan’s influences, including pop, soul, R&B and dance. Notes Jordan, ““All About Us” is a song that embodies who I am. Other collaborators on the upcoming album include Danja (Justin Timberlake, Missy Elliott), Dreamlab (Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus) and Rob Persaud (Jay Sean, Lady Gaga.) For the video, Jordan enlisted award-winning director/cinematographer TK McKamy and acclaimed dancer/choreographer WilldaBeast Adams (T-Pain, DJ Tiesto, So You Think You Can Dance) to create a show stopping visual for the song. Many know Jordan from his breakout role as “Doody” in Fox’s “Grease: Live,” which attracted more than 12.2 million viewers and ranked as the #1 most viral live music event to date. His performance of “Those Magic Changes,” was called out by the likes of People Magazine, Buzzfeed and MTV.
Laura Marano – Widely known for starring as “Ally” in the Disney Channel’s international hit television series Austin & Ally, Laura Marano has won Best Actress on TV at the Kids Choice Awards and nominations for Choice Summer TV Star Female at the Teen Choice Awards. The series has won Kids Choice Awards in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Columbia. Marano signed with Big Machine Records and recently released her new single “Boombox,” with the video garnering over 32 million views and an album to follow later this year. This January, Marano launched her own weekly radio show, “For The Record With Laura Marano” on Radio Disney. She’s currently developing her own apparel and accessories brand after curating a collection of prom dresses for Sherri Hill, which is currently in stores now.
Forever In Your Mind – Forever In Your Mind is an infectious pop band comprised of Emery Kelly, Ricky Garcia and Liam Attridge. The trio formed after Ricky and Emery appeared on The X-Factor and were put together by Simon Cowell. Emery’s cousin, Liam, was a natural fit and rounded out the group. Forever In Your Mind, or FIYM, as they are known to their fans, released their new single, “Hurricane,” April 29, followed by their debut EP July 1. They’ve already toured nationally and in Canada as part of the Digitour, alongside Fifth Harmony, Jesse McCartney, Demi Lovato and Bea Miller. The band performs the theme song to Disney Channel’s “Best Friends Whenever,” (which stars Ricky) and their DC Classics Medley, released last month, has over 1.5 million views on YouTube. Signed to Hollywood Records, the trio has a development deal with Disney Channel and they were featured in Variety Magazine’s 2015 Youth Impact Report in the “up next” category. They recently made their network television debut, performing in Times Square the 4th of July on “Good Morning America.” With their music and television careers taking off in 2016, they certainly are up next for greatness!
Joey Bragg – Joey Bragg stars as Joey Rooney, the eldest brother who subscribes to his own brand of cool, in Disney Channel’s “Liv and Maddie.” Born and raised in Union City, California, Bragg began his career in the entertainment business performing stand-up comedy at age 13 in the Bay area, eventually performing in Los Angeles, Nevada and elsewhere. In addition to “Liv and Maddie,” he made a guest appearance on Disney Channel’s “Jessie” and starred in last year’s Disney XD Original Movie “Mark & Russell’s Wild Ride.”
The AAKD Grounds Festival offers a wide range of interactive activities and the opportunity for children of all ages to test their skills, hit with top tennis pros, win prizes and enjoy music:
· Hess Festival Stage –the Grounds Festival’s free concert featuring up-and-coming musical talent including 13-year-old phenom Jacob Sartorius, Beyoncé protégé Sophie Beem, Island Records recording artists Citizen Four, country music breakout Tegan Marie, West Coast pop band Los 5 and more to be announced. Hosted by Radio Disney!
· YouthTennis.com – Tennis is sized right for kids! With shorter courts, smaller racquets and lower-bouncing balls, the focus is on the fun so kids enjoy the game right from the start.
· USTA Play Day – Experience a “Play Day”—a welcoming way for kids to experience the social and competitive aspects of tennis. Play points and rally against other players and pros.
· Family Fun Court – Kids aren’t the only ones who can have fun playing tennis. Join your child on court and see how you can play tennis anywhere.
· Hess Toy Truck Obstacle Course – Test agility, balance, running and tennis skills on the engaging and challenging obstacle course.
· Hess Target Time – Intermediate and advanced level-kids can test their skills hitting targets.
· Emirates Airline Beat the Pro – Challenge the best playing points against some of the top touring and teaching pros in the world.
· PTR 10 and Under Tennis – Have some fun with PTR professionals and work on improving your beginning serve, scoring and rally skills.
· USPTA 10 and Under Tennis – USPTA-certified teaching professionals host this court consisting of 30 colorful hitting stations using a variety of teaching aids.
· Nike Tennis – Tennis and skill activities on two courts featuring Nike sponsored athletes.
· Champions of the Court – Exciting doubles play for all levels. Which team will win Champions of the Court?
· Tennis and Education Zone – Innovative and fun tennis-based, educational activities to develop the skills of beginning players of all ages.
· Get Fit and Play – Challenging tennis courses for varying skill levels focusing on agility, balance, coordination, speed and strength.
· IBM Speedzone – Just like the pros, utilize IBM’s speed serve technology to test the power behind your shot.
· USTA Tennis Skills Challenge – inspiring youth to pick up a racquet and elevate their game with a series of dynamic skill challenges. Participants will try to master a variety of trick shots to inspire creativity and further develop the basic tennis fundamentals.
· The US Open American Express Fan Experience – Step inside the US Open American Express Fan Experience for even more tennis fun! The Fan Experience is located in the Chase Center near the East Gate.
· Special appearances from Disney Princess characters Rapunzel, Tiana and Flynn Rider from Tangled. For every kid who dreams big, there’s a Disney princess to show them it’s possible.
· Watch the Pros Practice – See tennis’s biggest stars up close as they prepare for the US Open. Public practices are featured on Louis Armstrong Stadium, Grandstand, Court 17 and Practice Courts 1-6.
· Also – Autographs, Face Painting, Juggling Workshop, Hair Beading and Braiding, Storytelling, Balloon Artists, Roving Entertainers and more!
Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day presented by Hess is the largest single-day, grassroots tennis and entertainment event in the world and has been supported by Hess since 2003. With chart-topping performers, celebrities and professional tennis players, the day helps to promote youth tennis and encourages children of all ages to develop healthy habits through fun activities. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day also celebrates the life and values of tennis legend and humanitarian Arthur Ashe.
Proceeds from Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day benefit the USTA Foundation which helps fund the National Junior Tennis & Learning Network (NJTL), a nationwide group of more than 500 nonprofit youth-development organizations that provide free or low-cost tennis, education and life-skills programming to more than 225,000 children each year, founded 47 years ago by Arthur Ashe, along with Charlie Pasarell and Sheridan Snyder.
For more information on Youth Tennis and Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day, log on to www.YouthTennis.com and/or www.AAKD.com. To connect via social media, please “like” the officialFacebook page facebook.com/ArthurAsheKidsDay and/or follow @AAKidsDay on Twitter and Instagram. In the event of inclement weather, ticket holders can log on to any of the sites listed above for the most up to date information.
The 2016 US Open will be held Monday, August 29 through Sunday, September 11. Tickets for the 2015 US Open can be purchased four ways: 1) at USOpen.org; 2) by calling Ticketmaster at 1-866-OPEN-TIX; 3) at all Ticketmaster outlets; or 4) at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the Official Card of the US Open.
source: usta.com ; Marisa for dcknews